Current Job Postings
MANAGER OF LENDING OPERATIONS
Under executive direction, manage the lending (commercial, agricultural, consumer and mortgage) and collections activities of Horizon Credit Union. Manages Horizon Credit Union’s lending portfolio for adherence to profitability and risk acceptance standards. Responsible for departmental budgeting and planning activities. Within assigned lending limits, approves retail, commercial and agricultural loans and mortgages. Supervisory responsibility for Lending staff.
Requires solid knowledge and experience related to all areas of lending to resolve complex enquiries and problems within area of responsibility, requiring analysis of issue and solutions within the context of business objectives and impact on department.
Ensure all lending activities are in compliance with all sound business practices, legislation, regulations, by-laws, and policies and procedures.
KEY RESPONSOBILITY AREA (KRA)
KRA #1 – Lending Operations
- Overall responsibility for managing the loans portfolio of the Credit Union.
- Develop departmental tactical plans and monitor performance in relation to plans.
- Reviews, recommends and implements plans, procedures and practices to improve departmental operations and service provision. Develops and implements performance and service standards for lending staff. Administers operating plan and budgets for assigned area.
- Participates in the development of corporate strategies and policies; identifies short and long term objectives and contributes to the design and development of policies, procedures and programs.
- Manages risk and margins within the loan portfolio.
- Ensure delinquency control systems are in place to enable quick identification of delinquent accounts. Determine monthly reserve requirements for delinquent accounts and recommend necessary expense allocation to maintain this reserve.
- Assign lending limits to all credit granting staff, subject to the approval of the CEO.
- Initiates action to improve growth and development of the Credit Union lending portfolio by analyzing member needs, trends, and competitor’s offerings; recommends revisions to the marketing plan, and pursues new business opportunities by establishing and maintaining liaison with members.
- Approves credit applications (consumer, commercial, agricultural loans and mortgages) referred from lenders, within lending authority and presents recommendations to executive management on applications beyond assigned approval authority. Receives and analyzes financial and net worth statements and evaluates collateral security; calculates debt servicing capacity, negotiates terms and conditions of loan.
- Provides technical direction in all lending service activities and acts as the resident expert for all lending products; provides leadership and guidance to staff on business development and administration of lending products.
- Interprets loan reports and identifies further action required to address problem areas such as pending delinquency; monitors delinquent accounts and works with member to develop remedial plans to mitigate risk of loss; participates in all collection activities including legal actions.
KRA #2 – Human Resource Management
- Direct supervisory responsibility for Lenders and Lending Support Supervisor and indirect responsibility for lending support staff.
- Organizes, schedules, and monitors lending service activities to ensure maximum service levels are being provided to members, standards of service are being met and that work flows smoothly.
- Establishes performance standards; conducts performance appraisals, identifies training and development needs of direct reports to ensure maximum quality of service and promote staff growth and development; initiates disciplinary procedures as appropriate; participates in the selection of new lending staff.
- Ensure regular coaching takes place and positive and negative feedback is given to employees on performance.
- Empower the lending staff to create an environment conducive to staff development by creating a network of employees who support service excellence, promote employee involvement and teamwork and effectively facilitate group decision-making.
KRA #3 – Sales, Marketing and Promotion
- Lead in the development of lending sales targets and marketing plans and support achievement of targets and plans. Create a network of enthusiastic employees who support service excellence.
- Oversee and monitor the effectiveness of lending programs, marketing strategies and short and long term planning activities to encourage and promote credit union growth; consult with senior specialists and external consultants to identify and capitalize on the potential for growth opportunities.
- Identify opportunities to promote sales and growth in key target areas.
- Predict and prepare for competition; relate emerging market trends to the credit union’s strategic plans.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all credit union lending services and products and relevant policies and legislation by participating in product development task forces, regularly reviewing literature and attending product update meetings.
- Appropriately promote the credit union and its products and services. Including being visible in the communities that the branch serves.
- Support staff in the delivery of products and services to members and potential members.
KRA #4 – Department, Branch and Credit Union Support
- Work effectively with fellow employees, share ideas and information and support the development of peers and credit union objectives.
- Lead loans department meetings and participate in or lead credit union meetings.
- Work to meet the strategic objectives as established annually by the Credit Union Board of Directors.
- Complete annual Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Privacy training and comply with all regulatory requirements including Market Code, Privacy and the Code of Conduct annually.
- Actively participate in credit union meetings.
- Provide backup support, training and assistance in problem solving to team members as required.
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration or related discipline;
- 7 to 9 years in the financial services industry;
- Leadership experience in a credit union or within the cooperative system preferred;
- Detailed knowledge of lending products and lending operations;
- Strong financial acumen along with extensive experience;
- Effective analytical skills to gather and analyze information skillfully to develop solutions;
- Can demonstrate that they can understand, reinforce, adjust and support a culture that reflects credit union values;
- Passion for cooperative values, and for involvement in the local community;
- 3 to 5 years of people management experience is preferred;
- Dynamic individual who is a team player and can coach, mentor and motivate team players;
- Role model for communicating expectations, managing performance and providing developmental feedback;
- Communicates effectively both in writing and verbally.
WHO WE ARE
Horizon Credit Union is a member-owned financial institution dedicated to high quality member services. Boasting a positive community image, Horizon Credit Union achieves success through sound financial management and innovative, relevant approaches to providing service and product excellence. Comprised of the Melville, Grayson, Grenfell, Neudorf and Wolseley branches, our credit union assets are approximately $254 million, and we have a team of 45 well trained and knowledgeable staff serving about 6500 members and non-members. We offer a competitive compensation package which includes health and dental benefits, plus an employee deposit and loan program, and match your pension contributions up to 7%. To learn more about Horizon Credit Union, please check out our website further.
The City of Melville is a community of approximately 5,000 residents. Melville is located in South Eastern Saskatchewan along Highway #10. The hospital and home provides the citizens of Melville with up to date acute and long term care. There are five schools and post-secondary students have the benefit of the Parkland College. Melville is also home to the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League “Melville Millionaires” and Western Major Baseball League “Melville Millionaires”. Melville is a full service business community and boasts a very successful minor ball and minor hockey program, as well as figure skating, speed skating, curling, batting cages, swimming pool, museums, parks and many other amenities too numerous to mention. To learn more about the community visit their website at www.melville.ca.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in pursuing this position and feel this position is a match to your qualifications, please submit your resume complete with cover letter and work-related references by Friday, April 5, 2019 to:
Horizon Credit Union
P.O. Box 1900
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those under consideration will be contacted.
We are committed to ensuring equitable access to employment opportunities to all members of our community. Our goal is to attract, retain and leverage the talent of a diverse workforce that truly represents the communities in which we work and live.